Euro Long Dagger
This is the development of my euro style dagger. It's longish, almost a short sword size. This is the first of several "models" that should all have interchangable parts. Once I have several options done, I plan to cast these and sell them in as a shop piece. That way you could build your own dagger and will also let me try out casting. Eventually I would hope to have tanto/wakizashi/katana options as well as more euro designs, but that's over my head right now.
1. Just started out, I'm happy with the blade shape, but not sure on the hilt. The handle of course is still in process.
2. Shown taken apart.
3. Close up of the hilt.
4. Drew out the fluting I plan to put on the handle. Never done it before, and I want to see what it looks like.
5. Decided to corkscrew the hilt, again just seeing what I can do to provide different options on a blade.
6. Further along, and in directional light.
7. Carved the first couple flutes, seems to be going well, and I like the look and the feel of it so far.
8. Cut a space for the pommel.
9. Cut out a round pommel, but decided it didn't look very good with the design.
10. Moved on to an acorn style to see what it looks like.
11. Better than the round pommel, but not quite there yet.
12. While I thought on the pommel, I cut fullers into both sides of the blade.
13. Trimmed down the pommel even more, making it even more pointed and delicate.
14. I think the final pommel design. I like how it keeps the lines from the handle profile. I plan to corkscrew this to match the hilt. All sorts of twisty elements going on. Hopefully it won't look crazy when it's done. Paint will help out too.
15. I skipped a few steps by accident, but I simply finished the pommel corkscrew and final sanded the whole project. Then I glued it together and sprayed a few coats of primer on it. Since my color scheme is white and gold, I just kept the primer coat as the handle color.
16. Last I sprayed the silver paint on the blade and gave the whole thing a coat of polyurethane to protect it. And that's it!
A few final notes on this project:
Being a prototype, this project does have some errors that I didn't have the time to correct. While not huge detractions, please keep this in mind.
I unfortunately discovered that the silver paint was not compatible with my polyurethane, and it acted as a paint thinner. So just a general warning, you may want to test your silvers/chrome with poly ahead of time. I used the metallic silver from Jo-Ann fabrics. Too bad, because it looked nice.
I do like the overall look of this prototype, so I think I will work on a master that I can cast.
This project does have a sheath made from cardboard and a few other materials. The sheath itself was an experiment, and is far from perfect, but I learned a lot about the materials for the future. The sheath will have it's own workbench since it's rather detailed, and I hope to share a lot of info.
Thanks for looking!